(Scripture) 1 Kings 19: 10-18 & 2 Kings 1: 1-18
1 Kings 19:12 (NLT) And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper.
2 Kings 19:10 (NLT) But Elijah replied to the captain, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and destroy you and your fifty men!” Then fire fell from heaven and killed them all.
- Elijah obeyed God, soaked alter with water, and God set alter to fire.
- Elijah had their Baal prophets killed. Then Jezebel, Ahab’s queen, ordered Elijah’s death.
- Elijah fled to Mt. Sinai and hid in a cave.
- God sent a wind, earthquake, and fire, but the LORD was not in these events.
- God whispered a question to Elijah to get him to reflect on his relationship with Him.
- King Ahab died, Ahaziah became king of Israel.
- Ahaziah hurt himself and sent aid to ask Baal prophets about his recovery.
- Elijah intercepted king’s aid and told aid to inform Ahaziah that he will die in bed. Ahaziah ordered Elijah’s arrest.
- First two sets of 50 soldiers killed by fire. Third captain pleaded with Elijah for his life.
For non-believers God used fire to communicate His point. For those who follow God, He can communicate through a whisper.
If ever stranded on a deserted island, I would like to have the song “Fire and Rain” with me. Reflecting on the lyrics, my question to James Taylor would be, “Was this song about Elijah?” What do you think?
“Fire and Rain” lyrics
Elijah in 1 & 2 Kings
|Won’t you look down upon me, Jesus, You’ve got to help me make a stand.||1 King 18:36 Elijah prays, “…Answer me so these people will know that You are God.”|
|I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain.
Lord knows when the cold wind blows it’ll turn your head around.
|1 Kings 18: 38, 45, 1 Kings 19: 11-12, 2 Kings 1: 10-12.|
|I’ve seen lonely times when I could not find a friend.||1 Kings 19:14 “I alone am left”|
|My body’s aching and my time is at hand||1 Kings 19:4 Elijah exhausted and prayed he has had enough and wanted to die.|
|I’ve seen sunny days that I thought would never end.||2 Kings 1: 8, “They (the soldiers) found Elijah sitting on top of a hill.”|
God has been with me in good times and bad, when I felt alone, and times I wanted to run away. Through this I learned that true wisdom comes only from God after He has seen me through the fire and rain in my life. He promised me that He will bring me sunny days in heaven which will never end.
Loving Father. Thank You for the joy which can only come from You, even when I am under fire. Help me to learn from Your Word. In Your name I pray. Amen.