- David’s children all grew up in a palace, where all their needs and wants were provided.
- David’s son Absalom had a sister Tamar. Amnon, Tamar’s half-brother, “loved” her so much that he plotted to have her.
- Amnon, faked an illness and tricked David to send Tamar to fix him a meal.
- Amnon’s “love” for Tamar turned to hate after he raped her. He then sent her away.
- Since Tamar lost her virginity, she could no longer be given away in marriage. Hence, she may never know the joy of a loving family home with a husband, children, and grandchildren.
- Absalom fled to his grandfather, King of Geshur, after he had his men kill Amnon.
- Nothing happens without God’s permission.
She almost received that scholarship. He almost earned that promotion. He almost did the right thing. We live in a world of results, where “almost” means very little. Results are the consequences of our action, or inaction. However, in the game of horseshoes, even if you do not circle the post, you still earn points. Likewise, a grenade will have life changing damages even though it does not hit its target. As Amnon’s sin clearly demonstrates, the overwhelming life altering damages were not isolated to one simple action. Like that hand grenade, the consequences of one’s sin will have devastating results to family, friends, careers, and lives.
However, God can always take our sin and make something truly incredible. Romans 8:28 will attest (NLT), “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Nothing happens without God’s permission. I need to share His love and message with everyone I can. Like horseshoes and hand grenades, the love and message He has shared with me, does not have to be perfectly targeted. Like the parable of the four soils, just cast His seeds, trust Him, and the results will change the world.
Loving Father. Nothing happens without Your permission. Thank You for the opportunity to learn from Amnon. LORD do whatever You want with me. LORD help me to let just Your light shine through me. Make these little SOAPs, Your horseshoes and hand grenades, and change the world for the good. To You be all the praise and glory forever. In Your name I pray. Amen.