Use every piece of God’s armor:
- Sturdy belt of truth: carries the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.
- Body armor of God’s righteousness. Righteousness is whatever follows the will of God. (Mat 5:6, 10, 20; Jn 16:8, 10) “…God makes us right in His sight.” (Rm 1:17)
- Shoes of peace from the Good News, Jesus resurrection. Provides traction so we don’t lose our ground, or “backslide” when the enemy attacks.
- In every battle you will need faith, a shield, to stop Satan’s well aimed arrows.
- Helmet of salvation: protect your mind with the knowledge of our salvation.
- In addition to God’s armor; we are to stay alert and persistent in our prayers. Gideon choose warriors who remained alert while they drank from the stream.(Judges 7:5)
- “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” (2 Peter 5:8) Satan told God, “I have been going back and forth across the earth watching everything that’s going on”. (Job 1:7)
One year, I did not include crayons with the rest of our children’s school supplies. My daughter came home in tears because she could not take part in Art without them. If it was important to prepare my children for school, how much more important was it for me to prepare myself to serve God and not forget to put on every piece of God’s armor.
In the movie, The Christmas Story, the mother took extreme care to protect her son from the cold. Likewise, the dad’s leg lamp was protected by a wooden crate with the word “Fragile” on the side. I have gone to extreme to protect things of no value, and not protect something of great value to God, myself.
Satan is real and seems to attack my mind and heart the most. Without God’ helmet and body armor, he has distracted me from prayer, Bible study, and my heart for God’s will. The lion searches to attack the weak or the injured. On my armor, will he see the word “fragile”?
Loving Father. I want to put on your full armor. Forgive me when I leave a piece off. I am defenseless and fragile without it. Help me to remember how critical it is to still stand firm for you. In your name I pray. Amen.